Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July Challenge


Sarah at Curious Crow is challenging herself and anyone who wants to join her during the month of July by trying to do things to stretch and grow beyond just sketching in a sketchbook. I've decided to join her and the picture here is my first piece I've done. This is for day three. I would have done day two but it was to use the primaries and make a color chart. I've done a color chart which I will be posting about soon but it was for a class I took and since I just did it recently I didn't want to do another just yet. Day one was to add paint or collage to some of my journal pages just to present a challenge when I use those pages. The picture here has a piece of testing-out paper glued onto the page. It was sitting on my desk when I needed to add that collaging so I used it. Then I wondered how in the world I was going to incorporate that into a page.

So how did I do it? I used ink to draw my picture. I used some purple for flowers. I used the grid I had around the top red square in the window on my little adobe house which I drew from my imagination thinking about how it should look and using what I've been learning in watercolor painting with Laure Ferlita in her classes. I added some swirls to another corner and although all of that didn't fit that strip of paper in completely it no longer looks foreign either.

Why don't you check out Sarah's blog and see if you want to join in?

13 comments:

  1. When I first saw your page I thought it was just a wonderful journal entry -- it definitely looked cohesive. And then I read your blog and was amazed at all the separate elements that you put together. It was a definitely successful project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool sketch and what a great challenge! I like how you've incorporated the extra piece.

    You amaze me with all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful beautiful drawing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your page very much - the collage was really incorporated nicely by repeating the doodle and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very creative and interesting to read how you did it. Love your fake bird too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great page, Timaree! I love the line, "I find it hard to pass up challenges..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Congratulations on such a successful start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful! I would love to live there - it looks so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so nice. I love that you have taken on yet another challenge along with all the other things you are doing. You are amazing girl. Great job. Keep those pictures coming. So love them

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a charming little cottage you imagined! You did a fine job with this, and I enjoyed reading about your process. Very nice! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so enjoyed revisiting your blog :-)
    This journal page is so pretty - I really like how you've added the side panel too. The class that you're doing, and the challenges sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I like being part of a community. Please share your thoughts about my blog with me. Hope you have a wonderful day!